Thursday, February 6, 2014

Artist Statement - Korina Serrano

      When it comes to the creative fields of film, painting, music, etc. the term artist does not describe me.  My lack of expertise in those fields simply means that I tend to prefer the process of analysis than creativity. It is a much easier task for me to write papers as opposed to making art.
      The one thing that is certain is my love for pop culture. As far as I can remember my fascination with all things media began with the television. Everyday I tune in to watch the latest celebrity news publicized by Guiliana Rancic on ENews or observe the drama that unfolds from reality shows. My interest lies in the workings of publicity, specifically in the beauty and fashion industry. For example the Fashion Police, pre-award show red carpets, YouTube beauty videos, and trendy magazines hold my undivided attention. Not only do I constantly glue my eyes to the television screen but I also check my phone for any updates associated with celeb news or the latest clothing trends. There are two films that cemented by interest in the world of trends and they go by "The Devil Wears Prada" and "13 Going on 30." Both films convey the main character working for a woman's magazine while exposing the cutthroat business it can be.
      Although the field of public relations does not entail the traditional concept of art, it does require the new technological skills of today. Furthermore applications like Photoshop, Illustrator, and Final Cut Pro could be considered mediums of art since they enhance and distort images or audio to be distributed to the mass public. Of course I wish to learn them to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment