Thursday, February 6, 2014

Starr Rochelle - Artist Statement

I'm interested in all forms of art. I've taken animation classes, drawing classes, and mixed media classes. Mixed media is my favorite form of visual art and I draw in my notebooks frequently. But, writing is really what interests me the most. I started getting into film when I had to do summer reading for high school and I hated it, my dad told me to imagine the story like a movie. Ever since then I can't read a book without it playing like a movie in my head. Thus my fascination with writing and film was sparked.
 A lover of all things Quentin Tarantino and J.D. Salinger - character and dialogue are generally what I focus on the most. In my experience people on the whole tend to not think for very long before they speak and they probably should more often than not. Words don't get enough attention. By building a bridge between film and literature certain themes that exist in both become easier to understand. Additionally it makes boring or heavy subjects a lot more entertaining/ relatable. I also recently fulfilled my minor in sociology, so looking at how society is affected by film and vice versa has in many ways become second nature to me. It's amazing how a film or a book can change a persons life. I guess in general art can make a difference in the world and that's kind of a big deal. 
Movies and books certainly have made a difference in my life, in fact I just purchased my 600th feature film on DVD (Dallas Buyers Club) and I'm working on a couple of lit+film research papers. I'm applying to film schools in California in the Fall (UCLA, that's the goal!). I hope to eventually doctor scripts, write screenplays and write for film journals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment