Thursday, April 10, 2014

MOMI Experience

During the tour at the museum I was introduced to a lot of interesting exhibits. The one that stood out to me the most was the one about sound editing. Prior to the tour I was aware that a lot went into producing the sound for a movie, but I was surprised to find out how much work was actually put in to making the sound of a movie. The tour guide that I had showed us a scence from the movie, Titanic, in which she first played just the sound and had the group guess what movie it was from. My guess was wrong... I thought it was one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, especially since the sound consisited of water moving in waves and what I thought was the sound of guns being fired into the water. Shortly after I learned that my ear was not much of a failure since the sound of the wires crashing into the wires was actually the sound of guns being fired into water. It was really incredible to see how well the sound was corresponding with the actions that were happening on the screen. Watching a movie I usually do not realize that the sound that I hear is a combination of foley sound effects and additional voice recordings and all of these different layers of sound put together to make the movie work.

No comments:

Post a Comment